Quote of the week. . .

To the father of my children...

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

~Clarence Budington Kelland~

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Today is National Flag Day, June 14th...who knew???

It has been in the works since 1889, initiated by, not surprisingly, a Kindergarten teacher who wanted his students to appreciate and understand what the U.S. flag symbolized. In 1916 President Woodrow Wilson established June 14th as National Flag Day.

So, I think it is worth taking a minute or two to think about what the U.S. flag means to you, personally. I know that I love the tradition of standing and putting my hand over my heart to honor what that flag stands for.

To me, it stands for a nation that was established by a Divine hand and organized by inspired men who, despite what you may have read about them, had the courage and values that Heavenly Father needed to prepare a place for His purposes.

We are blessed to live here, and we are here for a reason.

And I am grateful for my ancestors who heeded the promptings to move their families across the ocean to make this their home. I am grateful for the valiant men who have given their lives to keep this land free from tyranny and destruction, and for those who guard over us to protect those freedoms and our rights. Thanks, Dad and Nathan, for sacrificing your time and putting your lives on the line for us.

The following words were spoken by the late Red Skelton on his television program (you are all too young to remember it!) as he related the story of his teacher, Mr. Laswell, who felt his students had come to think of the Pledge of Allegiance as merely something to recite in class each day.

"I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you.

If I may, may I recite it and try to explain to you the meaning of each word?"

I...me, an individual, a committee of one.

Pledge...dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self pity.

Allegiance...my love and my devotion.

To the flag...our standard, Old Glory, a symbol of freedom. Wherever she waves, there's respect because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts freedom is everybody's job!

Of the United...that means that we have all come together.

States of America...individual communities that have united into 48 great states. Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and purpose; all divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that's love for country.

And to the republic for which it stands...a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And government is the people and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

One nation, under God...meaning "so blessed by God"

Indivisible...incapable of being divided.

With Liberty...which is freedom -- the right of power to live one's own life without threats, fear or some sort of retaliation.

And Justice...the principle or quality of dealing fairly with others.

For All...which means it's as much your country as it is mine.

If you would like to hear him tell this in his own words, just go to http://www.poofcat.com/july.html

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

WOW Mom thank you for sharing that!