Quote of the week. . .

To the father of my children...

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

~Clarence Budington Kelland~

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Giving Joy

We just got done viewing the movie "The Bucket List" last weekend. It wasn't quite what I expected, not nearly as funny, but it did give me some things to think about. In one part of the movie, the two friends, portrayed by Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, are sitting high up on the top of a pyramid in Egypt (something on their "bucket list") and one turns to the other and asks him two questions: Did you have joy in your life? and Did you give someone joy?

As I thought about how I would answer those questions, I thought of several things that have given and still do give me joy. Of course they center on my family and the great moments that we have had; right up there with family times are the times I have been outdoors and in beautiful places, like up in the mountains, at Bear Lake, and at the ocean. But I have to say that the most joyful times I have experienced had to do with the gospel and the love I feel from my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ for me, personally and privately. Knowing that I know the truth; know who I am; know where I am going; and know the Giver and Creator of all truth. When a person feels that love coming from Jesus Christ, speaking spirit to spirit, there is no greater joy.

As to the question, Have I given joy?, I can only answer that I hope that I have. And again it centers on my family and the times that we have shared; the love that we have for each other. I can do more, I know. I can reach out to others who may be in need of more love and care. I love this quote from Mother Teresa: In this life, we cannot always do great things--but we can do small things with great love. That, I think, is what I will try to do from now on....increase the small things that I can do, and do them with great love.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I would say that you have given me joy! I am sure my sisters will add the same thing. Once again thank you for sharing your wisdom!

Sisson Family said...

Yes I will! You have given me much joy mother dear.