Quote of the week. . .

To the father of my children...

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

~Clarence Budington Kelland~

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Here's to Feisty Women


My mother is an amazing woman, and on this, her 84th birthday, February 10th, I would like to honor her. She is what you would call "feisty!" The dictionary says that feisty means "full of animation, energy, or courage; spirited; spunky; plucky." You know, I like feisty people. They are more fun to be around because you never know what they will say or do! Also, you don't have to pussyfoot around feisty people, because they don't take offense easily and they always have a good comeback for you anyway. I grew up surrounded by feisty people; maybe that's why I'm so mellow!?!
It's been amazing to me to watch my mom throughout the past few months when she and Dad first heard about his cancer. They "talked it over" and decided that they would just take it "one day at a time" and see what happens." I think that is good advice for all of us when we hit hard times....to just take it a day at time and not get overwhelmed with it, and just see what happens. She told Dad, "Well, you've lived 83 good years....how much longer did you plan to live, anyway?" I couldn't help but laugh at her feisty perspective. It reminded me of a dear friend of mine who passed away last year. She was in the hospital, on her deathbed, so to speak. Her children told us that at the end, she kept waking up and saying "Am I still here?" After a few times of this, she said "This is worse than premature labor!" I hope I go out like that...feisty as can be!
I love my mom. She has been rock solid for me throughout my life. Someone I knew that I could always turn to, count on, talk to, joke with, and love without reserve. She is one of my heroes. Especially now, as she adjusts to living alone since my dad passed away last month. It won't be easy, I know...after being together with someone for over 62 years day and night. She and Dad had a feisty relationship, too. Sometimes it got a bit much for me. But, looking back, I always knew that they loved each other. What a great legacy to give to her children. She will be strong. She will put some new things into her life that she didn't have before. She will move forward and make each day count. She will be productive. She will bless her children, grandchildren, and greatgrandchildren with her example. She'll go out, as feisty as she came in.
All I have to say is: "Here's to feisty women! May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them." Amen.

4 comments:

Sisson Family said...

Grandma is an amazing women. I am so grateful to her and am continually impressed out her outlook on the hard times. She is a fiesty women. I talked to her tonight and she had even considered baking her own birthday cake but then she didn't think it would be good to eat a whole cake by herself. I hope I can continually be a fiesty women too! Amen!

Jeanette said...

Grandma has been a great role model for me. Yes, she is fiesty. With us granddaughters we call this being a Hartley. We have all have had our share of "Hartley Moments" but this helps us and make us more assertive, stronger, confident and yes very fiesty.

Smiths said...

Happy Birthday Grandma! She is such a great Person and i know where you get a lot of your qualities from!!! And it is good to be fiesty, most of the time!!

Connie said...

Now we need to hear from the spouses. How's that feistiness working for you?