Quote of the week. . .

To the father of my children...

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

~Clarence Budington Kelland~

Thursday, June 11, 2009

A "Deeeeeeeelicious" Daughter

As Michele Lee, my baby (always have been, always will be!) turns 23 years old, it makes me look back on all the joy that she has given to us through the years! She was born during a hard time in our life, when we were traveling back and forth to American Fork every weekend to pick up Scott on Fridays and then to return him on Sundays so Dr. Madsen could continue trying to decrease his seizures. (That's a whole other story!) Anyway, we did that for one year, and lo and behold in the middle of that year, our sweet little Michele was born!

I remember when you were born and Dr. Mortensen announced that you were a girl...I said, "She can't be!" and he said, "Well, you can come and look at the plumbing if you want to!" I was sure you were going to be a boy, and then we would have 2 and 2...but that isn't the way it turned out and, boy (hee, hee) are we glad! You have always been such a joy to us! When I first looked into your dark brown eyes, and saw all of that black hair, I fell in love with you, and have been ever since!

The only problem was, that we didn't have any girl names picked out. You were going to be Jonathan, but that obviously wouldn't work. While I was in the recovery room and your dad was upstairs waiting in my hospital room, we both were trying to think of what to name you. One name came to me, and I even had a middle name ready when I was wheeled to my room. Dad had a name ready, too, that he had seen on the plastic hospital bag with lots of boy and girl names on it. Guess what? We had each picked out the same name!!!! I couldn't believe it...and so you became Michele Lee a couple of hours after you were born.

Right away you fit into our family. Scottie called you "Baby" and still does! Your big sisters loved to hold you and take care of you. You were the icing on the cake of our family. I can't tell you how much happiness you have brought to us, in a time that we really needed some laughter! You were always hilarious and said the funniest things. A few that I remember well, I will share here. Maybe your sisters could add some in their comments!

When you were barely old enough to talk, we were all at the dinner table eating, and all of a sudden you looked at me and said with a huge grin..."This is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!" I wish I could remember what you were eating at the time so I could fix it for you on your birthdays!

Another time, once again at the kitchen table, you were cracking us up with all your funny sayings, and I said to you "Where did you come from?" and you just looked at me and said matter of factly "Shopko!" What a hoot you are!

And then there is the famous time that you made all of Lewiston laugh. You remember it, but I think we should share it here with our readers, don't you? We were on our way to Bear Lake with the van all packed with the swimming and picnic gear. There was hardly room for us all, but we managed to pack everything and everyone in. You, being the smallest, got the honor of sitting in the middle of a blown up inner tube shoved in the back (this was before the seat belt laws were in effect). We had to stop at Theurer's market for something at the last minute, and Dad ran in to get it. It was a hot day, so we had all of the doors open to keep us cool while we waited. All of a sudden, from the back of the van, and at the top of your lungs, you yelled "I'm constipated!" We all turned and looked at you and then started laughing until we cried. It took us a minute to realize you meant that you were "claustrophobic." I still laugh until I cry every time I think of that!

Thanks, Shelly, for being such a wonderful daughter, sister, niece, aunt, wife, and now mother. All of us are so lucky to have you in our family. We love you forever. Don't worry when Dad says that he wonders if Shopko has a return policy. We won't let him send you back! You are a keeper!!!!!

4 comments:

symony said...

Those are great stories! What a great daughter you have raised! She has always been a great friend and i am sure she always will!

Unknown said...

Thanks mom!!! Its fun to remember what a dork i can be sometimes!!!Love you!!! And by the way, thanks for sharing that story with everybody! Jk!!!

Jeanette said...

Those are my top stories of Michele! I am really lucky to have such wonderful sisters. Michele is someone I can convide in and know I can trust and respcect all she says and does. She is a wonderful mother, wife, daughter and best of all Sister (at least I think so. Love Ya Michele! Hope you had a great bithday!

Fayetteville 1st Ward Relief Society said...

Michele is so awesome. I was nine when she was born and she was my live baby doll. I had so much fun dressing her and changing her diaper even if she rolled of the changing table a few times. Sorry Shell. She's always made us all laugh and is a wonderful sister!!!!