Quote of the week. . .

To the father of my children...

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

~Clarence Budington Kelland~

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hero of Daily Life


I saw a sign the other day that said, "Dad, Hero of Daily Life." I thought that fit Carl to a "T" because, without him getting us through each day, Scott and I would be lost! I always like the month of June, because, since it is his birthday on the 19th and Father's Day soon after, I get to buy things for him that he can't tell me he can "do without." I have had fun choosing some things that I think he will like, but would never buy for himself. Nothing too big, but it is the little things that count, right?!

Anyway, Carl/Dad is the hero of our lives each and every day. Who else would:
  • Get up at 4:30 a.m., shower, fix lunches, get breakfast things on the table for us, feed baby lambs, feed and water the animals, let the dog out and back in, put reminder notes of things for me to do on the table, read the scriptures, put in a load of laundry, and get to work by 6:00?

  • Work hard at a job he really doesn't like that wipes him out 10 hours a day, to provide for his family for 33 years?

  • Come home to feed/water the animals again, check to see if I remembered to take care of the things on my list, put in another load of laundry, thaw out some meat for dinner, fix or help to fix our meal, take care of the dishes on the days I can't convince him to let me, go mow the lawn or weed the garden or flower beds or putter outside, get Scott ready for bed, take care of my leg for 1/2 hour, take time to talk to his daughters, and THEN finally sit down for a minute to read the paper and get to bed by 9:30 so he can get up and do it all over again?

  • Fill his Fridays and Saturdays with work, work, work, on the lawn, the house, the cars, etc. so they don't fall apart?

  • Take turns going to church the entire 3 hour block, get dinner started, help get Scott ready for church, take us to church and wrestle Scott for an hour, dinner and dishes again, maybe get a nap in, and finally relax enough to read the paper and maybe watch some TV, take care of church responsibilities?

Whew! That wore me out just typing it! He is amazing! And rarely complains, can you believe it? Now you know why he is our hero, and why I love June. They don't come much better than my husband. I love him and honor him and pledge to take some of that load off of him this coming year. He deserves a looooooooooooooooong vacation where he can fish, hike, camp, and just sit. Hopefully he can work in more than one of those this summer. Until then, Carl, Friday and Sunday are your days, and you won't have to do anything that you don't want to! You are a great husband, father, grandfather, son, brother,and friend! You are my hero!

5 comments:

Smiths said...

That so cute!! Dad is amazing!! he such a great example to me in many ways! Love you dad!! Happy b day and fathers day!!

symony said...

That was so sweet! It almost made me cry! What a great guy! You deserve someone as special as him and he deserves someone as special as you!

Anonymous said...

Connie, way to make me cry... you inspire me. Thank you for your post!

Jeanette said...

Happy Birthday Dad! I am so grateful for the example you have set for me. I couldn't ask for a better dad! I love you!

Sisson Family said...

DAd is my hereo too! Happy Birthday Dad. Thanks for being a great example to me of patience, perserverance, faith and love. This is your weekend enjoy!