Quote of the week. . .

To the father of my children...

He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.

~Clarence Budington Kelland~

Friday, January 30, 2009

My Dad

Lenau "Del" Dwain Hartley
December 21, 1925-January 16, 2009

Nobody ever told me how hard it is to say "Good-bye" to one of your parents. I doubt it is something that you can prepare for in advance. I'll be forever grateful that we took the opportunity to go visit him and my mom the week after Christmas, and experience some "last times" with him. The last game of Cribbage I played with him....of course, Dad won. The last game of pinochle I played with him....of course, Dad won. The last time the four of us (Mom, Linda, Dad and I) played pinochle together. The last time Dad argued with me about Mormons..."They all have a front yard full of old cars because they never will trade their old ones in!" The last time I heard Dad's wonderful laugh. The last time I saw Dad cry. The last time I hugged him and told him how much I loved him. Hearing him say as we left, "I'll try to hang on as long as I can!" I think he did, too. Oh, how I miss him.

These are the sad memories, but there are so many happy memories that I hold in my heart of him. Enough to last my lifetime and beyond. Too many to share here. Too tender to share on a blog. But, enough to soothe me when I am sad and miss him. I know without a doubt that he is surrounded by his family and friends who have gone before him. I wonder just what he is doing right now. As one person said at his Memorial service, "I know that he and Bob (her deceased husband and an old golfing buddy of Dad's) are setting up a "tee" time to play golf." I hope you get your hole-in-one up there, Dad.

I wish that all who read this had had a chance to know my Dad. People loved to be around him because he was a jokester and he had a great laugh. He knew how to make people be happy just being around him. Of course, he had his quirks, like eating chocolate cake with pork & beans, and a few others I won't mention here. But, all in all, he was a great guy, and I loved him only as a daughter can love her father. I'm wearing your ring, Dad, to help me to think of you every day. Know that I love you. You'd better be waiting for me when my time comes. Until then, be good and keep laughing.

4 comments:

Smiths said...

I am glad that you and also myself had a chance to visit with them!! Those are some memories i will never forget!! He was and is such a great man and i have many fond memories that i will always have!!!

Jeanette said...

What a great tribute to Grandpa. Thanks mom for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Love you

Anonymous said...

Connie, again I want to express my sympathies for your loss. It was nice to read your thoughts about Lenau. I always had a great time when we visited your parents, and I'll never forget how hard and long we all laughed over your dad's blunder during backalley which caused him and Jenny to loose the game. I don't think I've laughed so hard it hurts since then. I wish that the twins would have been able to know their great-grandpa Lenau as I wish they could have known my grandfather Lucas. I really wish we could have attended the funeral. Hope you're doing ok.

symony said...

that was so swet thanks for sharing!